Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The "losses" that are tagged to Adoption

Lastnight Justin & I went to our monthly Adoption Support Group. This was our first one that we were able to attend. The topic for lastnight was "the losses tagged to adoption". You usually don't think of the word "loss" when you think of adoption...Although, man, they uncovered ALOT of them! There is the loss for the birthmom, a loss for the child because of photos and knowledge on where they come from, a loss for the adoptive parents because you hurt because of the loss of the child...and so many more. They talked about how the "Adoption Journey" is a forever journey, it doesn't end when the adoption is finalized. I have never really thought about it this way, but the child has to deal with things, such as not knowing medical history and etc, for the rest of their lives. Thinking about my future child and all of the "losses" that they will have actually made me a little sad and nervous when we got in the car to come home. I was being me and kinda started freaking out and Justin said to me..."Kelly, we have tried to have our own baby for a while now and it just hasn't worked. I truly feel like this is what GOD has in store for us right now and you should not worry about those "losses" because we are going to give them SOOO many joys, as well." So then, of course, I started crying!!! :) Justin is definitely my rock when I am really needing it.
So, we learned that we are approaching more that just gaining a child. We are gaining alot of different things that differ so much from having your own child. But in the end, all that matters is the LOVE. There is nothing that compares to the love of a child. We already know this from the children that we "love" already. So, we are happy to welcome all of the "losses" with open arms and give all of our LOVE to the baby that GOD has in store for us! Our hearts are so full today!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I was at the meeting the other night too. Sorry we kinda freaked you out. I came across your blog when I was looking at adoption bug today. (mine is www.w8ing4her.blogspot.com) However, I was reading your story and thought of another blog I follow. The address is http://our-journey-to-parenthood.blogspot.com/
    She, too, has had blood disorders preventing her from pregnancy. Go to the beginning of hers and read through. She has an amazing story. I am glad you came to the group Monday. It is a fun place. Feel free to speak up in front of us and say anything! :) You are welcome to contact me anytime with questions if you need to. (jrp116@bellsouth.net) The people at HSC are great though! Sometimes it is nice to talk to someone who is in your shoes right now though.

    ReplyDelete